The optical transceiver Module used for optical-to electrical conversion is a key component in optical communication systems. Fiber Optic Transceiver Module is a self-contained component that can both transmit and receive. Usually, it is inserted in devices such as routers or network interface cards which provide one or more transceiver module slot (e.g GBIC, SFP, SFP+, XFP). SFP module is a compact optical module used in optical communications. The SFP is short for small form-factor pluggable and also called Mini-GBIC (the upgrade version of GBIC). The SFP module has many applications in both telecommunication and data communications.
The Cisco Catalyst 3560 series is a line of enterprice-class switches that include support for PoE, Qos, And advanced security features such as ACLs. These switches, shown in Figure 1, are ideal access layer switches for small enterprise LAN access or branch-office converged network environments.
Figure 1.Catalyst 3560
The Cisco Catalyst 3560 series supports forwarding rates of 32 Gbps to 128Gbps (Catalyst 3560-E switch series). The Catalyst 3560 series switches are available in different fixed configurations:
- Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Eternet connectivity
- Up to 48 10/100/1000 ports, plus four small form-factor pluggable ports
- Optional 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in the Catalyst 3560-E models
- Optional integrated PoE (Cisco prestandard and IEEE 802.3af); up to 24 ports with 15.4 watts or 48 ports with 7.3 watts
Since this article is discuss module options for Cisco 3560 series, to learn more about the Catalyst 3560 series of switches, see the data sheet of Cisco Catalyst 3560 series.
The Cisco switch product lines are widely deployed globally, in large part because of the flexibility they provide for add-on options.not only does the Cisco IOS have the richest set of features available relative to any other network operating system, but the IOS is also tailor fit to each Cisco networking device, switches in particular.
To illustrate the options available, which are literally too voluminous to list here, we focus on the Catalyst 3560 switches. The Catalyst 3560 switches have Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) ports that support a number of SFP transceiver modules.
Here is a list of the SFP modules supported on one or more types of 3560 switches:
Fast Ethernet SFP modules:
- 100BASE-FX SFP (multimode fiber-optic [MMF]) for 2 km
- 100BASE-LX10 SFP (single-mode fiber-optic [SMF]) for 2km
- 100BASE-BX10 SFP (SMF) for 10km
- 100BASE-EX SFP (SMF) for 40km
- 100BASE-ZX SFP (SMF) for 80km
Gigabit Ethernet SFP modules:
- 1000BASE-SX SFP 50/62.5 um (MMF) up to 550/220m
- 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP (SMF/MMF) up to 10/0.550 km
- 1000BASE-ZX SFP (SMF) up to 70 km
- 1000BASE-BX10-D SFP and 1000BASE-BX10-U SFP (SMF) up to 10 km
- 1000BASE-T SFP (copper wire transceiver) 10m
10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP modules:
- 10GBASE-SR SFP (MMF) up 400m (SFP-10G-SR)
- 10GBASE-SX SFP (MMF) up to 400m (supporting extended temperature range)
- 10GBASE-LRM SFP (MMF) up to 220m
- FET-10G SFP (MMF) up to 100m (for Nexus fabric uplinks)
- 10GBASE-LR SFP (SMF) up to 10km (SFP-10G-LR)
- 10GBASE-ER SFP (SMF) up to 40km
- 10GBASE-ZR SFP (SMF) up to 80 km
40Gigabit Ethernet and 100 Gigabit Ethenet modules are supported on high-end Cisco devices, such as the Catalyst 6500, the CRS router, the ASR 9000 Series router, and the Nexus 7000 Series switch.